Remember in summer, when I started the “Graz” category on the blog and everyone was loving it. Well. That didn’t work out so good. I started off by showing you some of my favorite places and then quickly forgot about it. Now that I started meeting up and working together with fellow bloggers from Graz, I wanted to revive it. So here we are and I’m talking you through my favorite time of the year: Christmas in Graz.
Christmas in Graz | The Christmas Markets
Graz has about 15 different Christmas markets spread all around the city. Not too shabby for a small city, isn’t it? There literally is one fitting for each and every one of you out there. There are markets dedicated to kids, party people, traditional ones, sustainable ones, really small ones and two big ones. My lovely friends Lisa and Christina already talked about these two big ones on their blogs. So if you want to find out more about the Christmas market at the Schlossberg or the one on the Rathausplatz make sure to visit their blogs:
- Christkindlmarkt am Schlossberg by Lisa
- The best food stalls at the main square by Christina
- Weihnachtsmarkt am Südtiroler Platz by Alina
Christmas in Graz | Landhauskeller
But let’s focus on the important stuff: my favorite spot! I do adore Graz in general around Christmas time. Coming from a rather small town I definitely wasn’t used to 15 markets. Back at home, there was only one. And that one wasn’t so special either. I mean sure, the punch almost tastes the same everywhere, but still. Apart from marveling at the upside-down Christmas trees at Herrengasse, hiking up the Schlossberg or stuffing my face at the Rathausplatz, I like to sit down for a drink or two at the Landhauskeller.
The Landhauskeller is a very lovely restaurant located at the Schmiedgasse in the city center, which offers delicious food. Other than being a very nice restaurant, they have a great bar offering the most delicious cocktails in town. In winter their outdoors bar turns into a magical winter wonderland with cozy seats and delish hot drinks. I adore the hot Moscow mule and their punch. SO GOOD! And how can you resist fairy lights, huh?
- Schmiedgasse 9, 8010 Graz
- Opening Hours: 12.00 – 01.00 (12.00 – 02.00 on the weekend)
5 THINGS I LOVE ABOUT CHRISTMAS IN GRAZ
- Upside-down Christmas trees – so unique, so Graz
- The one on the Schlossberg because duh, what other city has a mountain in the midst of it
- The Christmas-bim, which is a tram fully decorated in fairy lights and all the Christmas glory
- The diversity. So many cities only have the traditional kind of market but in Graz, there legitimately is something for everyone
Have you ever been to Graz? What’s your favourite thing about Christmas markets?