Currently, I am making my way through the hyped The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a Fuck book. And while I must admit that I’m not 100% happy with her ideas and find it to be a bit too harsh and egoistic at times, there definitely are things that I realized I simply do not give a fuck about anymore. And you know what, my life has become a lot easier through that.
The concept discussed in the book goes as follows: just like with your bank account, there’s a fuck-budget that you get. One fuck equals your time, money and or energy. And now it’s up to you to budget those fucks and give them to things that spark joy and just stop caring about those that you really couldn’t give a shit about. Truth is, we care way too much about what other people think of us and that’s such a bad habit. Sure, there’s a fine line between being a totally self absorbed asshole and putting yourself first. But some things that bothered me in the past, just don’t have place in my future as a happy human being.
So, here are six things that I do not give a fuck about anymore
1. OTHER PEOPLE’S OPINION OF MY LIFE CHOICES: I used to let other people’s opinion of my life choices unsettle me so much. But now? I couldn’t care less about Sally thinking I shouldn’t have uploaded that bikini selfie on Instagram. Because you know what, these are my choices. And I’m a grown up woman. I pay my bills and do my own laundry so it’s all up to me to decide whether to embrace that hard-earned self-confidence or not.
2. THE BIKINI BODY HYPE: This perfectly ties in with point number one. For years I’ve been obsessed with trying to get a bikini body and look a certain way for summer. But honestly, that’s just not worth it. Why would I say no to that delicious pizza just so I can play with the illusion of ever looking like one of those hot Insta girls? Ain’t going to happen and we all know it.
3. YOGA: Ahhh Yoga…. sport of literally everyone good-looking and rich. Guess that’s why it just isn’t for me, eh? Truth is, I’ve tried to give Yoga a go – multiple times. I did a 30-day challenge, classes, and YouTube videos. However, I just never found the pleasure other people seem to find in it. And so I decided to just ditch yoga and do my thing. I love trying out new sports and not sticking to them, that’s just what I do. So why have I tried to like yoga for three solid years just for the sake of belonging? Nope. Nope. Nope. Not anymore.
4. STICKING TO A BLOG ROUTINE: Ever since the blog has become my prime source of income, I tried to treat it as a business as much as I possibly can. This also meant sticking to a schedule and posting at least three times a week for the better part of the last year. At the moment, I’m really busy with university and realized that all that time I neglected what really should have mattered, namely studying. Truth is, as much as I love this blog, at the moment I still am primarily a student. And that is why there haven’t been any posts this week. I just didn’t have time. And I do not want to pressure myself in producing content that’s then not 100% what I believe in.
5. YOUR KIDS: I’m not an “oh my god your baby is so cute can I touch its feet” kinda person and probably will never be. I do not hate children or never want any. However, I just don’t care about them or their gross habits. So please Sally, would you stop posting about its pooping schedule and the fact that you haven’t slept in three days on social media? Not interested, thank you.
6. TRYING TO MAKE MY LIFE APPEAR SUPER COOL ON SOCIAL MEDIA: Oh, aren’t we all guilty of doing that? It’s just so easy to get caught up in trying to make your life look better than it is on social media. There are all those beautiful girls, traveling around the world, partying with their besties and showing off their new clothes. In reality, I am sitting on my bed in my pajamas, nomming on a packet of crisps, watching you jump around the beach. And I used to be so jealous. Not anymore. Because you know what? It’s all fake. Not everything you see on Instagram is that sugary and sweet in real life too – and if we think about it, we all know it. There’s no shame in not being so fun, outgoing and successful. All that matters is that you’re happy.
What do you not give a fuck about anymore? And what do you think about that book? Have you already read it?