Some things are magical. Some things never lose their charm. And Villacher Kirchtag certainly is one of those things to me. Growing up it has always been my highlight of the year. Not only did it mark the half-time of my summer break but it was also the event I saved my money for all year round. And honestly in my 21 years of existence I never once missed it!
What’s the Villacher Kirchtag?
- 450.000 people from not only Austria but all over the world coming together to celebrate. That’s something, huh?
- It’s the biggest traditional festival in Austria.
- The big parade on Saturday features more than 3.500 people from different countries showing off their traditional clothing.
- In 7 days there are more than 130 single events held on the Villacher Kirchtag – all together forming the event of the year.
- It’s especially popular in Italy, being called “Festa della birra” there. Because well, we all like to drink Villacher Beer.
- Villacher Kirchtag is a festival for all generations. While the youngest have their fun with the rides at the ‘Kinderkirchtag’ , the youth meets up to celebrate together at the ‘Draulände’ and the oldest generation has their own events at Rathausplatz.
- With this year being the 72. anniversary (2015) it’s certainly an institution in Villach that most people can’t imagine not taking place.
- Why am I even telling you this? Come and see for yourself!
Kirchtag is amazing because…
To me, the best thing about the Villacher Kirchtag is the unity. Everyone comes and proudly shows off their traditional clothing. People sing, dance and have fun. Also, they offer delicious foods (try Baumkuchen and Lángos – SO GOOD). Then there’s the Villacher Kirchtagssuppe, which is a rather precious thing. It’s a special kind of soup that only is made once a year (in the Kirchtagswoche) and tastes incredibly delicious with Reindling. Hmmm yummy!! And while 450.000 people is a large number you usually meet people you haven’t seen in ages. Each year I get to talk to so many old friends who I wouldn’t normally meet for a drink. Lovely!