When I was told I had to stop eating dairy products my first thought literally was, “but what about ice cream?”. It’s one of my all-time favourite foods and (I kid you not) in summer I could live solely from ice cream and sorbets. So giving up this delicious sweet treat seemed like a nightmare to me. Luckily there’s vegan coconut ice cream! One of the best things I’ve ever tried. And no, not in a “very good substitute to normal gelato” kinda way. It’s almost better than the original. And by almost I mean it is.
I mean just look at how terrific it looks in my ice cream machine. That texture is just to die for. Before, I only ever was able to make boring ol’ banana ice cream from frozen bananas in my smoothie blender. But this ice cream maker takes things to a whole new level. I’ve always wanted an ice cream maker and the “Il Gelataio” from De’Longhi* is an actual game changer.
Making vegan somethings always is a bit of a challenge as it’s not always easy to get your desired consistency. The “Il Gelataio”, however, seemed to not have one bit of a problem with processing my vegan coconut ice cream. In fact, it came out just perfect. So expect many more ice-cream recipes within the following weeks. If you want to, that is!
This vegan coconut ice cream is:
Delicious, easy to make, healthy, dairy free, creamy, rich in flavor and just perfect!
Vegan coconut ice cream with blueberry sauce:
- 1 Can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 – 1/3 cup of sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1,5 tbsp melted coconut oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp white rum (optional)
- Some Blueberries for the topping
- Add all the ingredients (except blueberries) into a blender and blend on high until completely creamy, smooth and mixed up. Taste the mixture and add some sugar or vanilla if you feel like it needs more.
- Add mixture to your ice cream maker and churn according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Mine took about 35-40 minutes to turn it into delicious vegan coconut ice cream.
- Once churned, put the ice cream into a freezer-safe container and chill for about 2 hours before serving.
- For the blueberry sauce simply heat some frozen blueberries in a pan, add some honey and then put it into the fridge to cool down.
- You can also top the basic vegan coconut ice cream with other stuff like nuts, cookie dough, etc. Or eat it as it is. It tastes delicious either way.
Have you ever made ice cream on your own? What do you think about this recipe? If you try it at home make sure to tag me so I can see your creations. :)
*PR Sample: I was kindly given this ice-cream maker from De’Longhi for review. My opinion, however, is as always 100% my own.