Every now and then I get that incredible urge to get up and wipe up a delicious recipe in the kitchen. I’m not the best chef in the world but I do love me some good baking-procrastination. Yesterday evening I was craving something warm, delicious, and sweet, so I made these utterly yummy vegan cinnamon rolls as a treat.
When I posted a picture of them on my Instagram Story, I got so many messages desperately requesting the recipe so I decided to sit down and type it up for you today. I’ve made these vegan cinnamon rolls a couple of times already and they’re a fool-proof, easy and quick dessert to make for when you’re having the munchies.
They certainly aren’t clean, low-calorie, or healthy, but who cares about that when you can enjoy a delicious, warm, juicy, and sweet vegan cinnamon roll. Exactly! You can make them less sugary, though, if you leave out the sugar in the filling. They will still be extremely tasty and heart-warming. I like to roll up mine quite tightly and have more small rolls, however, you can also roll up the dough differently if you prefer the big ones over these cute babies.
Quick & Easy Vegan Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- 1 packet dry yeast
- 400 g flour
- 100 g brown sugar
- 250 ml milk (I used almond milk, any other plant milk will work too)
- 120 g vegan butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp (fresh) lime juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- First, add your flour into a large mixing bowl and add your dry yeast to the mix according to instructions on the packet.
- Next, add your milk and 100 g of (melted) butter to the mix. Now transfer the dough to a lightly floured worktop and knead until the dough forms a loose ball.
- Place your ball of yeast dough back into the mixing bowl and let rest for about an hour in a warm and dark space until it doubles in size.
- In a small bowl combine about 3 teaspoons of cinnamon and your brown sugar.
- On a lightly floured workspace, roll up the dough into a huge rectangle. Then, use the rest of your melted butter (20 g) to butter the dough and sprinkle with your cinnamon and sugar mix.
- Now, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down on your worktop. Start cutting your cinnamon roll into little pieces of about 5cm each and place in a well-buttered oven pan.
- Set aside to rest and pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Now, bake your cinnamon rolls for about 25-30 minutes.
- Optional: I frosted mine with a lemon-sugar frosting made of 1 cup powdered sugar and 1-2 tbsp lemon juice.
Hope you like this recipe. If you try these vegan cinnamon rolls at home, please let me know how they turned out. I’d love to see your creations :)