I must admit I’m lazy af when it comes to cooking and/or baking. I love it – I really do. It’s just that I never really find time to whip up something nice in the kitchen anymore. This easy banana bread recipe is a staple of mine, however. I’ve been making it on and off for years now, switching out things and adding different things on top. Nothing compares to the real deal, though, so here it is.
My easy banana bread recipe
- 2-3 ripe bananas
- 2 cups (spelt) flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 100 g butter
- 50 ml (almond) milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- almonds for decoration
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cut and mash the bananas until they’re smooth but still a bit chunky. Add your milk and egg and mix until creamy with a fork. Do not overmix if you want your bread to have bits of banana still left it it (at least that’s what I prefer).
- Slowly add your dry ingredients.
- Now lightly grease your loaf tin with the butter and put the rest into the easy banana bread batter.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for taste: a little bit of baking powder, a pinch of salt, some cinnamon, a few chia seeds.
- Pour the batter into your tin, sprinkle with almonds. I also added 1/2 banana on top of the batter.
- Pop the tin in the oven for 60-70 minutes, but do keep an eye on it throughout.
- Once finished leave to cool for about 10-20 minutes, then tuck in!
There seriously is nothing better than the smell of this easy banana bread cooking in the oven. It’s so easy to make and can be whipped up from most of the things you’ll have at home either way. If you do not have butter, you can substitute for coconut oil too. If you fancy some chocolate chips on top, sprinkle away. And if you want to make it vegan simply steer clear of the butter and egg and substitute for chia seeds, coconut oil, and soy yogurt. By the way, I like to top mine off with some greek yogurt or cream cheese. So good!